Remember visiting the state fair and walking around with a funnel cake? Powdered sugar all over your face and hands? We have taken those cherished childhood memories and made a healthy Raspberry Funnel Cake Smoothie using our kefir. Fruity, tangy, and sweet, this Smoothie Saturday creation is summer in a cup!
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.Servings: 1 - 2
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 1 banana
- 1 cup Raspberry Lowfat Kefir
- 1/2 cup canned coconut cream, shake the can before pouring
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 cup ice
Healthy Funnel Cakes
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1-1/4 tsps baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 1 large whole egg
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- vegetable oil spray
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Smoothie: blend everything together and pour into a chilled glass.
- Funnel Cake: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set this aside. In another mixing bowl, whisk the kefir, egg, and vanilla until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients, in half cup portions, into the wet ingredients. Mix together until well blended. If the batter is so thin that it will drip through the air fryer basket or crisper plate, add more flour, a little at a time until the batter is a little more like a really soft dough.
- Preheat your air fryer to 375°F. Spray the basket or crisper plate of your fryer lightly with vegetable oil.
- Place 1/4 of the batter into a pastry piping bag or a plastic baggie. Squeeze the batter through the hole as you move the bag in a swirling motion into the air fryer basket or onto the plate. Spray the top of the cakes lightly with vegetable oil.
- Place the basket or plate with the cakes inside the preheated air fryer. Cook for 5 minutes. Flip, if desired, and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes until the cakes are golden brown, crispy, and cooked through.
- Remove the cooked funnel cakes to a platter or wire rack and dust with powdered sugar. Continue doing this until all the cakes are cooked and dusted.