You say tomato, I say #ToastTuesday. For this recipe, we marinated a fresh batch of tomatoes in a blend of olive oil and garlic and give it a splash of Worcestershire sauce to accentuate the flavor. We cook the ripe red fruit and serve it over a bed of our tasty Lifeway Farmer Cheese and toasted sourdough. The tanginess of the #cheese brings out the bright sweet flavor of the tomato while boosting the meal with #probiotics and #protein. The toast gives this snack a satisfying snap. Cherry tomatoes are delicious on their own, but when they’re seasoned, skewered, grilled, and served with Lifeway Farmer Cheese makes them exquisite. 🍅
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- about 10-12 , 8" bamboo skewers
- 1 cup Farmer Cheese
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Savory seasoning
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for about 30 minutes
- In large bowl, combine oil, Worcestershire and garlic. Add cherry tomatoes to marinade bowl and toss to combine and coat tomatoes.
- Skewer about 4-5 tomatoes on each bamboo skewer and toss salt and pepper over them
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Reserve the leftover marinade and brush them on toast.
- Roast tomato skewers for 10-15 minutes or grill tomato skewers on each side for about 3-4 minutes, or until they are cooked.
- After tomatoes are cooked, grill both sides of sourdough until crispy.
- Spread Farmer cheese on slices of bread and top with tomatoes, red pepper flakes, savory seasoning, salt, pepper, and olive oil.