Don’t you just love the cozy, nostalgic flavor of snickerdoodle cookies? Now imagine that indulgent taste in a nutritious breakfast treat. Our Warm Blueberry Snickerdoodle Oats recipe, made possible thanks to Lifeway Oat, captures the cinnamony goodness of the classic cookie and enhances it with prebiotic fiber and probiotics. It’s also great with Blueberry Lifeway Kefir, so grab a spoon and enjoy!
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems.Prep Time: 2-5 mins
For the Base
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup or 2-3 drops liquid stevia drops
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp pink salt
- 1 cup water (or 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup your choice milk)
For the Topping
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/3 cup Blueberry Oat
- sprinkle of extra cinnamon
- sprinkle of ground flax
- sprinkle of shredded coconut
- Stovetop: add the oats, water (or 1/2 water and 1/2 milk) with the vanilla extract, maple syrup or stevia drops, pink salt, and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon to a small saucepan and cook on medium heat without the lid until the oats start to bubble, stirring continuously to prevent sticking.
- Microwave: add the oats, water (or 1/2 water and 1/2 milk) with the vanilla extract, maple syrup or stevia drops, pink salt, and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon into a 3-4 cup microwaveable glass bowl and cook for 2:30 and then let sit 30 seconds and cook 1 minute more.
- Once the warm oats are done, make your topping: Purée the 1/2 blueberries with Blueberry Lifeway Oat into a creamy compote-like topping. Add on top of the oats, and sprinkle with extra cinnamon and flax or shredded coconut. Enjoy!