The “big game” is once again upon us and, like many of you, we’ve found ourselves more excited about the snacks and the commercials than the game itself. With a free afternoon (and traffic-less roads), the possibilities for new experiences are endless!
While a few hours spent in front of the ‘tube with friends and family can be an afternoon well spent, we know there are plenty of other things weave been meaning to do that we just haven’t made time for. From crafting and cooking to baking and sweating, we’ve compiled a list of seven awesome football-free weekend activities that we’re sure will be a great use of your time. Check them out!
Check out a new restaurant – that upscale hot spot you’ve been dying to try but has been booked for ages? Give them a call! With everyone glued to the game, reservations should be easy to grab
Go see a movie – And see it on a whim! With minds occupied in other ways, you’ll have the pick of the house, which means you can show up minutes before show time and still have a great spot.
Hit the gym – Have you forgotten what the gym is like when you don’t have to fight for equipment? Head there this Sunday – the resolutioners won’t be around and you’ll have the pick of the treadmill litter
Craft on – you know that Pinterest DIY you’ve been meaning to work on? Now’s the perfect time to take a stab at it! Be sure to keep your expectations in check.
Volunteer – do something that’s good for more than just you! Volunteering gives you the opportunity to interact with different members of your community. You’re also doing something that helps another person or organization, which feels good.
Get cooking – what better time to try that kefir recipe you’ve been eyeing? Not a dessert fan? No worries! We’ve got load of options for you. See them here, you know you want to. Even better, try our game day-inspired recipe for our famous healthy guacamole! This is one dip worthy of any event!
Game Day Guacamole
Creamy with a hint of tang, our healthy, kefir-ized guac is perfect anytime.
- 4 ripe avocados
- ½ red onion, minced (about ½ cup)
- 1/2 cup Lifeway Plain Low Fat Kefir
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh limejuice (or more to taste)
- ½ tsp coarse salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ – 1 tsp chili powder (to taste)
- ½ ripe tomato, seeds and pulp removed, chopped
- Cut avocados in half and remove the pits. Scoop avocado out from peels and place in a mixing bowl.
- Using a fork, mash the avocados. Add the chopped onion, lime, salt, pepper and chili powder and mash together.
- Keep tomatoes separate until you’re ready to serve.
- Store in the refrigerator with plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent browning.
- Just before serving, mix in the chopped tomato.