Banana splits enjoyed during the warm days of summer are one of life’s simplest pleasures, so we took that sentiment to breakfast time and gave you a banana split breakfast parfait that does your body good! Skip the sugary ice cream and try this recipe for your next breakfast, or as an afternoon snack. This vegan recipe uses our incredible Lifeway Oat, which is a source of 10 live and active probiotic cultures and is made with organic oats. Check out the recipe down below, and be sure to let us know if you try it!
Not Just Oat Milk: Cultured Oat Milk Benefits to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion. Studies have also shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, a combination of fiber and probiotics is even more beneficial for the gut, immune system, and for brain health due to the way this combination strengthens the microbiome, the powerhouse system of your entire health. This is where Lifeway Oat is so beneficial since it is an organic, cultured oat milk beyond just another standard oat milk. Lifeway Oat contains both fiber and probiotics to help support a healthier body and brain, which means an overall healthier you.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = A Healthier You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of fiber-rich plant foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems.Prep Time: 2-5 Minutes Servings: 1 - 2
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tbsp. creamy-style almond, cashew, pecan, or walnut butter
- 1 tbsp. raw cacao powder (can sub regular cocoa powder)
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 pitted Medjool dates
- 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups Strawberry Oat
- 1/4- 1/3 cup quick or rolled oats
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple
- Other for topping: additional 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries for topping and 1 banana, sliced horizontally (set both aside)
- Homemade vegan chocolate syrup: 1 tbsp. raw cacao powder or cocoa powder and 1/2 tbsp. raw coconut oil (slightly melted)
- Optional toppings: diced pecans, cherries, coconut whipped cream, slivered/sliced almonds, walnuts, more banana, or more berries
- Add the banana, nut butter, 1 tbsp. cacao powder, vanilla, dates, Lifeway Oat, quick or rolled oats, frozen strawberries, and frozen pineapple to a high-speed blender. Blend on low to incorporate for a few seconds, then turn to high and blend until thick and creamy. Pour this into 2 parfait-style glasses, but reserve about 1/3 of the mixture to split between the 2 glasses. The glasses should be taller than what the mixture will fit.
- Cut the horizontally sliced bananas in half each and put them inside each glass with the parfaits around the sides of the glasses, evenly (so you can see them from the outside). Add the rest of the blended mixture on top of each one. Top with the remaining additional sliced fresh strawberries on top.
- Make the chocolate syrup: Whisk the slightly melted coconut oil and cacao powder for just a few seconds in a small bowl with a fork; it should come together quickly. Add this hot chocolate sauce on top and pour it onto the top of your smoothie. Then add any of the additional toppings you wish!