We’re livin’ la vida mocha with this recipe for a Creamy Caramel Mocha Coffee Milkshake! Smooth and sweet with a little caffeine kick to get your motor running, this simple recipe gives you a coffeehouse quality treat from the comfort of your kitchen. It’s a refreshing way to start your morning, with probiotics and protein thanks to our Organic Whole Milk Vanilla Lifeway Kefir.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health. Our Farmer Cheese is also a great source of all these nutrients, just in a different format for all the cheese lovers out there.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = A Healthier You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of fiber-rich plant foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems.
- 1 cup Vanilla Whole Milk Kefir
- 1/2 tsp. instant espresso powder (or 1/2 tbsp. instant coffee powder)
- 1 tbsp. raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup cold brew coffee or chilled brewed drip coffee (use decaf if desired)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1-2 pitted Medjool dates (or 3-4 smaller Deglet Noor dates)*
- 1/2 cup crushed ice (or 10 cubes)1/2 cup crushed ice (or 10 cubes)
- Toppings: whipped cream, raw cacao nibs or mini dark chocolate chips, and 1 tsp. drizzle of pure maple syrup
- Prep: Before blending, put your glass of choice into the freezer for 10 minutes or so. It keeps the recipe cold and truly enhances the flavor. Trust us!
- 1. Add Lifeway Organic Whole Milk Vanilla Kefir, and all the remaining ingredients except the toppings to a strong, high-speed blender. Blend on low for 5 seconds or so, then power the speed up to high and blend for 10-15 seconds until the bananas, ice, and dates have broken down.
- 2. Remove the chilled glass out of the freezer, pour in the shake, and add your toppings of choice. Enjoy!
- *The dates used here have a natural caramel flavor to them, but if you want a stronger flavor, use caramel-flavored cold-brew or chilled, brewed coffee made with a caramel-flavored coffee. These are healthier options than shelf-stable caramel syrup and truly delicious all the same!