Calling all coffee lovers! If you already love cold-brew coffee, just wait until you try this magnificent probiotic-rich Cold Brew Smoothie. Our smoothie packs billions of probiotic cultures thanks to the Organic Lifeway Whole Milk Vanilla Kefir used in this recipe and is a great source of prebiotics thanks to the banana, gluten-free oats, and chia (or flax) seeds we used. Chia seeds and flax seeds are also great sources of plant-based omega-3 fatty acids to support heart, brain, and joint health.
This fiber-rich smoothie packs a nice little kick thanks to the coffee we used and you use regular or decaf, depending on your preference. You can make this as a smoothie, or you can make it as a creamer for your cold brew by mixing everything together except the coffee and then pouring the mixture on top of the cold-brew coffee for a creamer-like effect.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health. Our Farmer Cheese is also a great source of all these nutrients, just in a different format for all the cheese lovers out there.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = A Healthier You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of fiber-rich plant foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems.Prep Time: 5 mins Servings: 2-3
- 1 cup Vanilla Whole Milk Kefir
- ½ cup cold brew coffee of choice (can use regular or decaf)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/4 cup gluten-free old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup crushed Ice
- 2 tbsp. ground chia or flax meal (optional for omega-3's)
- To make as a smoothie: Add all the ingredients to a blender in the order listed. Blend on low, then progress to high until the desired consistency is reached. If you want a thicker smoothie, add more ice or an additional frozen banana. For a thinner smoothie, make the recipe as is.
- If you want to use the blend as a creamer option for cold brew coffee, simply do the following: blend all the ingredients in the order listed, except the cold brew coffee. Once the ingredients have blended thoroughly (minus the coffee), it will be very thick and creamy like creamer. Pour your cold-brew coffee into a cold glass with ice, pour the mixture on top, and enjoy!