We’re pretty egg-cited about this recipe because it’s packed with probiotics and unlike your ordinary slice of egg salad toast. This bright Egg Salad Toast combines fresh eggs and Lifeway Farmer Cheese to make it a protein powerhouse. Plus, our farmer cheese gives it an extra boost with live probiotic cultures. This egg salad is rich and creamy with added mix-ins of cucumber and chives for a captivating crunch that gives it the perfect consistency. Give it a try and taste the delicious benefits for yourself!
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health. Our Farmer Cheese is also a great source of all these nutrients, just in a different format for all the cheese lovers out there.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = A Healthier You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of fiber-rich plant foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems.
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1 bulk of chives
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 4-5 tbsp mustard
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup Farmer Cheese
- 2 slices of your favorite bread of choice
- handful of spinach
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- paprika, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- Carefully crack open a dozen eggs in a pan safe for an Instant Pot. Fill bottom of an Instant Pot with half a cup of water. Don't have an Instant Pot? Just boil your eggs on the stove instead you normally would and skip step 2 below.
- Close your Instant Pot and on normal-high pressure, cook for 9 minutes.
- Takeout your eggs, let cool, and carefully flip them upside down and chop up.
- In a bowl, add chopped eggs, chives, chopped cucumber, chopped avocado, lime juice, sriracha, mustard, mayo, farmer cheese, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder and mix together to combine.
- Toast your favorite bread, and on one slice, add the egg salad mixture, and then top with spinach and another slice of toasted bread and enjoy.