Dessert is better when it’s loaded with protein and probiotics. So for National Nutty Fudge Day, we’ve created a treat that will appeal to your sweet tooth, your muscles, and your gut. With 12 live and active cultures, our Lifeway Vanilla Organic Whole Milk Kefir (or Low-Fat Vanilla Kefir) is an easy way to fortify your food with probiotics. This recipe is also easy to make! First, we blend our Lifeway Kefir into a mixture of dates, almond butter, rolled oats, and cacao nibs. This creates a perfectly creamy pudding. Next, we rest the pudding over a bed of mixed nuts for a little crunch and some extra nutrients. Ready to indulge? Take a look at the benefits of probiotics from cultured dairy below, and then make this recipe today!
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.Prep Time: 10 mins Servings: 5-6
- 6 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup of Vanilla Whole Milk Kefir
- or 1 cup of Vanilla Lowfat Kefir
- **to make it dairy-free and vegan, substitute with 1 cup of
- 6-8 Medjool dates, pitted+ well-chopped
- 1/4 cup vanilla almond butter
- 1/3 cup nut butter
- 1/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 1/2 tbsp cacao nibs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- mixed nuts
- Stir chia seeds with 1/2 cup of Vanilla Lifeway Kefir.
- Add the dates, vanilla almond and other nut butter, and oats into the bowl. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours.
- Scoop the mixture in your blender with the cacao nibs, the other half of Lifeway Vanilla kefir. Blend until fully smooth and creamy (add more Lifeway Kefir as needed to keep the pudding thick.
- In small pudding containers, layer in the nuts and chia pudding.
- Refrigerate in a sealed container until chilled. The probiotic mixture will thicken a bit more as it sits.
- Top with coconut cream, cacao nibs, and nuts.