The first day of October calls for Roasted Squash with Green Goddess Tahini. It’s a light snack with big flavor that you’ll want to make all season long. Lay sliced squash flat on a baking sheet and toss with oil, ginger, and salt, then roast in the oven for about 30 minutes. While the squash slices are roasting, prep the tahini sauce by combining cilantro, parsley, tahini, water, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, and salt, then blend until smooth. Drizzle the Green Goddess Tahini over the roasted squash slices and serve as a snack, side dish, or in your salad. Squash has high antioxidant content and is an excellent source of potassium and vitamin C. It’s yummy and so gourd for your gut.
Your Gut Matters
Eating habits also play a role in mental health. Research has shown that probiotic-rich foods decrease anxiety and boost the mood. That makes kefir a great wellbeing tool because it contains 12 live and probiotic cultures. Psychiatrist James Greenblatt explained that “‘the gut is really your second brain. There are more neurons in the GI tract than anywhere else except the brain.’” As research continues to develop, it’s becoming more and more apparent that there is a link between the gut and the brain. What was once suspected as one-way communication (brain to gut) is now understood to be more of a two-way system. Thus, the health of our gut may directly impact the health of our minds.
- 2 medium acorn squash (halved, seeded, and sliced 1 inch thick)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp ground ginger powder
- ¼ tsp salt
Green Goddess Tahini
- ½ cup packed fresh cilantro
- ½ cup packed fresh parsley
- ½ cup tahini
- ½ cup Plain Lowfat Kefir
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the squash on the baking sheet and toss with oil, ginger, and salt. Roast until tender, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Combine cilantro, parsley, tahini, kefir, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, and salt in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Top roasted squash with a hearty drizzle of green goddess tahini.
- You can enjoy this recipe on toast slathered with our Farmer Cheese!