Tired of boring breakfast bread? Try our Savory French Toast! Flavored with a combination of earthy, spicy, and peppery seasonings, this dish is a bold, hearty way to kick off your day. The spinach and mushrooms load this recipe with vitamin C, iron, vitamin E, vitamin D, and zinc, while Lifeway Kefir and Lifeway Farmer Cheese add probiotics, protein, calcium, and vitamin D. Your body is going to appreciate all those vitamins and minerals as this creation leaves you feeling good and satisfied.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole-fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health. Lifeway Farmer Cheese is also a great source of all these nutrients, just in a different format for all the cheese lovers out there.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = A Healthier You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of fiber-rich plant foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotic fiber, but it’s what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems.
- 6 slices of bread
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 - 1.5 cups mushrooms
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup Farmer Cheese
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. dried rosemary
- 3 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- Add olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook for a few minutes. Once browned, add in garlic powder, salt and pepper and mix until incorporated. set aside
- In a large bowl, add 2 eggs, kefir, Italian seasoning, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Dip each side of the bread into the mixture from step 2. Once the bread is soaked, transfer bread into a pan over medium high heat. Cook until each side starts to get browned.
- Mix together farmer cheese, garlic powder, Parmesan cheese, salt/pepper, spinach, dried rosemary until smooth.
- Top each fried toast with farmer cheese mixture. Top with drizzle of spicy honey and enjoy!