Looking for a meal that’s bursting with flavor? Try shakshuka! This delectable dish, popular in The Middle East and North Africa, features poached eggs nestled in a spicy tomato-based sauce. It’s a great combination made even better with the addition of Lifeway Farmer Cheese. Our handcrafted, artisan cheese has a cool and tangy flavor that balances out the acidity of the tomatoes and enhances the richness of the eggs. With fresh cilantro, parsley, and a delicate blend of warm spices, this savory and spicy dish is perfect for breakfast, brunch, or a quick dinner.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = A Healthier You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of fiber-rich plant foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems.Prep Time: 25 mins Servings: 4-6
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 28oz. can whole peeled tomatoes
- 6 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup Farmer Cheese
- 1 baguette, sliced and toasted
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add chopped bell pepper and onion. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and spices into the pot and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Pour the tomato can with the juice into the pan and break down tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a bowl.
- With a large spoon, make small wells in the sauce for your eggs. Crack one egg in each well. Add in Lifeway Farmer Cheese chunks, do not stir. Cover and cook 5-8 minutes. The longer it cooks, the more done the eggs will be.
- Garnish with cilantro and parsley. Toast baguette and dip into Shakshuka, enjoy!