This recipe is second to Naan! We’ve taken this traditional flatbread delight and filled it with leafy spinach, tangy onion, juicy tomato, gooey mozzarella, and Lifeway Farmer Cheese. It’s a delectable combination of flavors with a warm savory taste underlined by a hint of sweetness. This Stuffed Mediterranean Naan is also rich in nutrients. Spinach is an excellent source of magnesium, potassium, and vitamins A, C, and K1; tomatoes are full of antioxidants; and Lifeway Farmer Cheese is loaded with calcium, protein, and probiotics.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health. Our Farmer Cheese is also a great source of all the nutrients, just in a different format for all the cheese lovers out there.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = A Healthier You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of fiber-rich plant foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems.
- For Naan Dough:
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 packet of dry active yeast
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. oil
- flour for dusting and rolling
- handful of spinach, chopped
- 1 cup Farmer Cheese
- 1/3 cup red onion
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 4 tbsp. melted butter
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 tsp. garlic powder
- Take a ¾ cup warm water in a mixing bowl, add sugar and yeast; mix well, cover it for 7-8 minutes or till bubbly foamy texture.
- Add two cups of flour, oil, and salt to the prepared yeast mixture mix well, knead for about 3-4 minutes. If needed then use water and make a smooth dough like elastic.
- Apply few drops of oil on dough, cover it and keep a side for 30 minutes or until it doubles in size.
- Heat oil in a pan, add chopped spinach and red onion and cook down until spinach is soft.
- Transfer to a bowl, add in chopped tomato, farmer cheese, mozzarella cheese, and seasonings.
- Take the prepared dough, punch it down, and knead it again for 2 minutes and divide the dough into the medium sized balls.
- Take one ball, dust in flour, roll it and make thick circle disk, place the filling on the disk and close the edges and form into a ball.
- Dust the ball into the flour again and roll back out into flat surface.
- Melt butter and add in salt and garlic powder.
- Heat a griddle, apply little water on rolled naan, place it on the griddle when hot and cook for a minute or till bubbles will come out.on the Naan surface
- Roast all side of the Naan directly on high flame till golden brown spotted on each side and cool on rack.
- On the rack, top with melted butter (save some for later), transfer over to oven sheet, and bake on the highest temperature for 5 minutes. top with the remaining butter mixture and add chopped cilantro .