Not sure what to prepare for a summer potluck? We recommend watermelon bruschetta. Spread our probiotic Farmer Cheese on Italian bread and top with juicy cubes of chopped watermelon. Drizzle balsamic glaze and finish with a sprinkle of basil. Your guests’ mouths will water when they taste this out-of-the-box watermelon pairing.
What Can Watermelon Do For You?
This summer fruit is a powerful source of:
- Amino acids, like l-citrulline, and l-arginine: these are great for muscle recovery and reducing soreness after exercise.
- Antioxidants and carotenoids: these include lycopene, a phytochemical that promotes heart and bone health. The rind is especially rich with lycopene, so don’t neglect it!
- Vitamin A: watermelon contains B-carotene, which your body converts into Vitamin A, which supports your immune system and keeps your eyes healthy.
- Vitamin C: we all know this vitamin boosts the immune system, but it also keeps you looking young. It’s an antioxidant that fights off free radicals, those baddies that accelerate aging and can help build collagen, which gives skin that youthful bounce.
- Potassium: this essential mineral relieves muscle cramps and keeps your body hydrated.
- Water: all that H2O not only hydrates you, but it also keeps the calorie count low. One cup of watermelon only has about 40 calories!
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive system.
- 1/2 cup cubed watermelon (small cuts)
- 2-4 tbsp Farmer Cheese
- 2-4 small slices of toasted Italian bread
- 1 tbsp balsamic reduction (drizzle)
- 2 basil leaves (julienned)
- salt to taste
- Finely cube cold watermelon and set aside. Toast bread and top with farmer cheese, watermelon, balsamic glaze, and basil. Sprinkle with salt and serve.