Hot summer days always make us yearn for a cold, juicy slice of watermelon. No cookout, barbecue, picnic – or even weekend – is complete without it (or our limited edition Watermelon Kefir, for that matter). With a water content of about 90%, it’s understandable why we crave this refreshing fruit when the mercury rises. But there’s a lot more to watermelon than just water. This pink fruit is bursting with benefits!
What Can Watermelon Do For You?
This summer fruit is a powerful source of:
- Amino acids, like l-citrulline, and l-arginine: these are great for muscle recovery and reducing soreness after exercise.
- Antioxidants and carotenoids: these include lycopene, a phytochemical that promotes heart and bone health. The rind is especially rich with lycopene, so don’t neglect it!
- Vitamin A: watermelon contains B-carotene, which your body converts into Vitamin A, which supports your immune system and keeps your eyes healthy.
- Vitamin C: we all know this vitamin boosts the immune system, but it also keeps you looking young. It’s an antioxidant that fights off free radicals, those baddies that accelerate aging, and can help build collagen, which gives skin that youthful bounce.
- Potassium: this essential mineral relieves muscle cramps and keeps your body hydrated.
- Water: all that H2O not only hydrates you, but it also keeps the calorie count low. One cup of watermelon only has about 40 calories!
Change Up How You Watermelon:
There are endless ways to enjoy this healthy and refreshing fruit while in season. Our favorite way is sipping our Watermelon Lowfat Kefir straight from the bottle! Here are some other ways to change it up: