Skip the Shops and Practice Self-Care
Here at Lifeway, we firmly believe skipping the Black Friday madness is good for the soul. Bring a whole new meaning to this day by skipping the stores and spending quality time with your loved ones. Preserving your mental health with a relaxing family self-care activity instead of fighting the crowds for the latest deals on popular video games and toys will help to avoid unwanted stress and anxiety. Remember the theme of the holiday: gratitude. Be grateful for the things you already have and the ones you love.
Shopping Stress May Impact Wellbeing
Over the five-day holiday weekend, more than 165 million people are expected to shop. While shopping may boost your mood temporarily, the crowds and expensive price tags may cause stress and anxiety. Treating yourself is encouraged but overspending on unnecessary material things could cause a harmless habit to spiral out of control.
Relax, Don’t Shop
We challenge you and your family to avoid the retail pandemonium and practice self-care. Here are five ways to make use of your Black Friday that have nothing to do with shopping.
- Organize: Declutter your space by cleaning out your closet. Gather the clothes and materials you don’t need and donate them to the local homeless shelter. The sense of pride you’ll feel afterward will fill your heart and make you even more grateful for the things you already have.
- Bake: Creating in the kitchen with your family will make magical holiday memories to last a lifetime. Try baking our Black Velvet Macarons. With activated charcoal batter and a probiotic kefir frosting, this European dessert is airy, delicately sweet, and rich with vanilla flavor.
- Exercise: Get outside and enjoy some fresh air. Grab your bike, go for a run, or wrangle up the family for a walk. Plus, the endorphins you get from breaking a sweat will help you feel great. Be sure to fuel up with a Reset Smoothie first.
- Volunteer: Thanksgiving is over, but the season of giving has just begun! Head to your local food pantry, animal shelter, hospital, or community center and inquire about donating some of your time and energy. Trust us, it’s super rewarding. Bring the family along for a bonding experience unlike any other – but be sure to ask if the organization is kid-friendly first!
- Relax: Who’s to say you have to do anything at all today? Stay in, watch movies, eat leftovers, take a nap – you don’t even have to leave the house! Avoid the Black Friday crowds and spend time with the people you love the most. How often do you get the opportunity to do nothing?