The last stop in our Drink You Colors with Kefir series is with our powerful, potent purples and blues. Purple and blue fruits and vegetables are abundant in nature, easily recognized and, most of all delicious. From blueberries and blackberries, to eggplants and even cauliflower, they’re packed with important vitamins and minerals and, you guessed it, phytonutrients.
Purple/blue foods contain flavonoids called anthocyanins. As health-promoting chemicals, research shows that anthocyanins may:
- Promote eye and heart health
- Decreasing cancer cell proliferation/have cancer fighting properties
- Support a healthy immune system
- Protect against premature aging
- Cut your risk of diabetes
Anthocyanins are also extremely powerful antioxidants, which help protect from inflammation and cardiovascular diseases.
More Pigment, More Value
Along with anthocyanins and flavonoids, specific purple/blue fruits and veggies contain high concentrations of other important vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. They’re also generally high in fiber, meaning they help support your digestive system, too!
- Purple carrots contain high concentrations of vitamin A and lutein, which support eye health
- Blueberries contain a healthy dose of vitamin C, which supports collagen production and immunity
- Purple potatoes contain chlorogenic acid, which has been linked to lower blood pressure
- Purple grapes contain resveratrol, a polyphenol with antioxidant properties that is shown to support heart/cardiovascular health
Purple fruits and veggies can be used interchangeable with their commonly colored counterparts. Try purple spuds in our Kefir Potato Salad or purple carrots in our Carrot Crème Kefir Smoothie. If in doubt, grab a variety of your favorite berries and fruits and blend them up in a delicious kefir smoothie! You really can’t go wrong. Today, we’re blending up an easy purple-icious Blueberry Kefir Smoothie. Enjoy!
Purple-icious Blueberry Kefir Smoothie
- 1 cup Lifeway Lowfat Plain Kefir (sub Blueberry for an extra fruity punch!)
- 1/2 cup Lifeway Original Frozen Kefir (or one big scoop)
- ¾ cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Honey, to taste
Combine all ingredients in a blender in the order that they are listed. Blend on high until desired consistency is reached.