There’s not much we love more than creamy, delicious Lifeway Kefir, but if we were to make a top ten list, working with local companies that have a passion for healthy foods would be on it. That’s why we were delighted when the fine folks at Simple Mills approached us a few months back with some fabulous treats, made with their baking mixes and our kefir!
Simple Mills, Simply Delicious
Simple Mills makes paleo-friendly, whole-food, low-glycemic baking mixes that are also non-GMO, and they’re based just a few miles from us in Chicago. They currently produce eight different baking mixes, from pizza crusts to pumpkin muffins, all of which can be used for a variety of different purposes (many we’ll explore in our forthcoming series!). When we first tried their treats, we were blown away by how moist and flavorful everything was, and even more, were totally impressed by how few ingredients they’re able to use to perfect their mixes. We knew we needed to work together and see what we could come up with in the kitchen, so we asked for a few boxes of their mixes and got to planning.
For our first dish, we were in the mood for something savory. With breakfast the most important meal of the day, we grabbed a box of their Almond Flour Pancake and Waffle mix and stopped by the farmer’s market to grab some seasonal veggies. With our haul, a carton of eggs, a bottle of Lifeway Lowfat Plain Kefir and our favorite Farmer Cheese, we threw together what we’re sure will be our new go-to brunch casserole.
We used a mixture of late spring/early summer veggies, including red peppers and broccoli, but you can certainly use anything you have on hand (zucchini, mushrooms and carrots would also work great). We followed the direction on the back of the Simple Mills box, omitting the oil and subbing kefir for milk to make a crust for our veggie-fied concoction. Throw in some spices and cheese and viola, an easy, fresh, completely healthy meal the whole family can enjoy!
Probiotic Summer Vegetable Breakfast Bake
- 1 cup Lifeway Farmer Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Lifeway Plain Low Fat Kefir
- 1 cup Simple Mills Pancake & Waffle Mix
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups fresh spinach, stems trimmed
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup broccoli florets, chopped
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 5 large eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and prepare an 8-9″ square baking dish by spraying with non-stick cooking spray or grease. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet with 1 tsp of olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add diced onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add red pepper and broccoli and continue to cook until veggies are tender. When veggies are almost done, add the spinach and cook for one minute, or until the spinach has wilted. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl to cool slightly.
- To prepare the crust, crack two eggs into a mixing bowl and whisk with kefir. Slowly add the Simple Mills Pancake & Waffle mix, stirring until combined. Transfer crust mixture to the prepared baking dish and smooth.
- In a small separate bowl, whisk the two remaining eggs with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add Farmer Cheese and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the bowl with the vegetables and add the cheddar cheese. Mix well, then pour over the crust mixture, spreading it our evenly.
- Place in the oven uncovered and cook for 50-60 minutes, or until a the eggs and crust are set and the top is golden brown. Removed from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.