Inspired by the famed Boston Cream Pie, we’ve created a decadent, three-layer smoothie that combines classic vanilla, sweet banana, and indulgent chocolate flavor with the probiotic power of Lifeway Kefir and Lifeway Farmer Cheese. Our Boston Cream Pie Smoothie has that yummy dessert flavor you know and love, but is enjoyed without all the fuss of mixing and baking.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = A Healthier You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of fiber-rich plant foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems.Prep Time: 15 mins Servings: 2
- For Smoothie:
- 3 crushed graham-style crackers of choice
- 1 cup Vanilla Whole Milk Kefir
- 1 tsp. vanila extract
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 cup ice
- 1 tsp. cocoa powder
- Middle Layer:
- 2 bananas, ripe
- 1 cup Farmer Cheese
- Top Layer:
- 1 cup chocolate sauce of choice
- 1 cup additional Farmer Cheese
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- Blend together all ingredients for the smoothie and set aside.
- In a food processor, blend together ripe bananas and farmer cheese until smooth and creamy; set aside.
- In a food processor, blend together Farmer Cheese and chocolate sauce until smooth and creamy.
- In your cup, layer the smoothie blend, followed by the banana blend, and then the rest of the smoothie layer. Top with chocolate sauce and farmer cheese mixture.
- Mix together the cocoa powder and coconut oil, then top the smoothie with it.
- **Tip - To add the banana mixture and chocolate/farmer cheese layer, add them each to a pastry bag and pipe into the cup.