Flat is where it’s at this Toast Tuesday with our #recipe for Garden Veggie Flatbread 🫓 We take whole-grain naan, top it with seasonings and load it with juicy tomatoes, chopped onions, and Lifeway Farmer Cheese. Then we grill it to perfection. Our Farmer Cheese is packed with protein and probiotics. It has a tastefully tangy bite that wonderfully complements and enhances this recipe where everything comes together perfectly.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health. Lifeway Farmer Cheese is also a great source of all these nutrients, just in a different format for all the cheese lovers out there.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = A Healthier You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of fiber-rich plant foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems.
- 2 whole-grain naan flatbreads or pita flatbreads
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup onion, thinly sliced or chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons Farmer Cheese
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil or marjoram
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 sp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. coarse grind sea salt
- Grill the flatbreads covered over medium, indirect heat for 2-3 minutes on in or outdoor grill (just until the bottoms are slightly browned).
- Remove flatbreads from the grill and brush the sides with olive oil. Top with tomato slices and onion, leaving at least 1/2 inch on the outer sides.
- In a small bowl, add both the mozzarella and Lifeway Farmer Cheese along with the spices. Sprinkle this over the veggies and drizzle the balsamic vinegar on top.
- Return flatbreads to the grill and cook, covered for 2-3 minutes longer until both kinds of cheese are slightly melted. Cut into wedges and serve with a fresh garden salad.