We’re putting the “cake” in pancake because today’s recipe is so spongey and flavorful that each bite feels more like a dessert than a breakfast. But don’t let that indulgence fool you. Our Kefir Sheet Pancakes are made with fresh, health-focused ingredients. We use Plain Lifeway Kefir and Lifeway Farmer Cheese in the batter to give this treat its heavenly texture. We sweeten the pancakes with a blend of succulent strawberries and blueberries and top it with a drizzle of pure maple syrup.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = A Healthier You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of fiber-rich plant foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems.Prep Time: 45 mins Servings: 12-24
- 6 cups gluten-free pancake mix
- 4 cups Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups Farmer Cheese
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp vanilla bean protein powder
- 1 package of strawberries, sliced
- 1 package of frozen blueberries, slightly crushed
- Pure maple syrup for drizzling
- Sprinkle of powdered sugar (optional for topping)
- In a bowl, mix together pancake mix, Plain Organic Whole Milk Lifeway Kefir, and two eggs until combined.
- In a food processor, add Farmer Cheese, Vanilla extract and vanilla bean protein powder and mix until smooth.
- On a baking sheet, pour melted butter and spread it all over. Add pancake mix, covering the pan.
- Add dollops of Farmer Cheese mixture, add crushed blueberries, swirl it around. Layer on the sliced strawberries.
- Bake on 425 for 12 minutes. Once done, allow to cool slightly, cut into squares, top with maple syrup and powdered sugar and enjoy!