Now, this is a superfood dish! When the days are getting shorter and the weather is getting colder, there is nothing more comforting than a cozy bowl of soup. Our recipe for Cauliflower, Potato, and White Bean Soup is here to warm your soul. It’s made with a melange of vegetables, herbs, and spices and is fortified with probiotics and protein from Lifeway Farmer Cheese. This is a tasty and toasty way to bring in the new season.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole-fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health. Lifeway Farmer Cheese is also a great source of all these nutrients, just in a different format for all the cheese lovers out there.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = A Healthier You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of fiber-rich plant foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems.
- 1 lb. gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 in chunks
- 1 lb. cauliflower, chopped into large bite-sized florets
- 2 15oz. cans cannellini beans
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp. dry white wine
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8oz. Farmer Cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped chives
- potato chips for topping
- shredded cheddar for serving
- for serving, Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- In a 6-8 quart slow cooker, combine the potatoes, cauliflowers, beans, onion, garlic, vegetable stock, butter, wine, thyme, garlic powder, and 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Cover and cook until veggies are very tender (about 8 hours on low).
- Remove and take out thyme spring. Add lemon juice and puree with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Add farmer cheese to a food processor and blend until it becomes a sour cream consistency. Add the blended farmer cheese, and chopped chives into soup and stir until incorporated.
- add to separate bowls, top with salt, pepper, crushed potato chips, shredded cheddar and more chives and a dribble of organic whole milk kefir.