While drinking a tall, cold glass of creamy kefir is a classic way to enjoy our favorite tart and tangy probiotic beverage, it’s certainly not the only way. There are several ways to use kefir as a healthy swap to your favorite recipes!
We love cooking with kefir and using it in any recipe we can. From soups, smoothies, sauces and even as a sourdough bread starter, there are countless ways to include kefir in your everyday life.
Below you’ll find a list of our favorite tips for cooking with kefir. We love swapping kefir for yogurt, buttermilk and sour cream wherever we can, because let’s face it: we could all probably use a little more probiotic action in our lives, right?
Cooking with Kefir: Healthy Kefir Swaps
- Use a 1-to-1 ratio when substituting for buttermilk, sour cream, milk and yogurt when cooking or baking – from cookies, crumbles, breads, biscuits – even your favorite pancake or waffle mix!
- When making dips, substitute ½ the mayonnaise, yogurt or sour cream called for with kefir (we recommend Greek-style or whole milk kefir to maintain a thick consistency)
- Strain kefir through cheese cloth or coffee filters and substitute 1-to-1 for sour cream or yogurt
- Mix kefir with a little powdered sugar to make a quick, tangy glace for pound cakes, donuts, cookies and more – we especially love it with a dash of citrus juice and zest
- Use kefir to marinade meat – it’s acidic properties make tough cuts tender and juicy
- Add your favorite herbs and spices to kefir for a healthy, probiotic salad dressing
- Pour kefir over your cereal instead of milk or oatmeal – you’ll get roughly the same protein, vitamins and minerals, but an added dose of probiotics
- Use Farmer Cheese in place of ricotta or other soft, spreadable cheeses
For more inspiration, or to see these tips in action, head over to our Recipe page and check out our ever-growing list of Kefir recipes. We’re always looking for inspiration and would love to hear from you! Let us know your favorite kefir tips and tricks on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram with the hashtag #CookingwithKefir!