We have an autumn-themed recipe that you’re going to fall in love with. Our Butternut Squash Banana Blueberry Smoothie is a silky, creamy delight. It’s a comforting, tasty treat that’s full of nutrients. Butternut squash is a good source of vitamin E, niacin, and vitamin B-6. Blueberries are loaded with vitamin C, vitamin K, and manganese. And Lifeway Kefir is packed with probiotics, protein, calcium, and vitamin D. This is the way to get the season started right.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole-fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health. Lifeway Farmer Cheese is also a great source of all these nutrients, just in a different format for all the cheese lovers out there.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = A Healthier You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates that are a source of fiber that are naturally found in a variety of plant foods[b]. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems. Lifeway Oat contains both prebiotics and probiotics for optimal gut and brain health.Prep Time: 2-5 mins Servings: 1-2
- 1/2 cup frozen butternut squash cubes (in the frozen aisle at the store)
- 1 frozen banana (or fresh)
- 1 cup frozen wild blueberries
- optional: 1 cup fresh spinach for a green smoothie (or to create layers)
- 1 cup Vanilla Whole Milk Kefir
- 1/2 cup cold water
- a fresh Medjool date or a pinch of your favorite sweetener
- Garnishes: pumpkin seeds, fresh bee pollen, coconut shreds, etc.
- Add Lifeway Vanilla Kefir to a blender and then add the frozen butternut squash cubes, frozen wild blueberries, and a frozen banana or fresh banana, and spinach if using. Top with cold, filtered water, Medjool date or your favorite sweetener, ice, and blend until combined; it should be thick.
- Top with garnishes as desired, and enjoy!