We’re excited about Halloween, so we’re getting a little spooky this Smoothie Saturday with our Magical Matcha, Matcha, Mandarin Orange Smoothie. It’s a tasty treat with an enticingly tart, citrus flavor. Our recipe makes a bewitching potion because this smoothie is fortified with Lifeway Organic Whole Milk Vanilla Kefir. This loads it with probiotics, protein, calcium, and vitamin D. It’ll put a spell on you.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems.Prep Time: 10 mins Servings: 2
- 2 mandarin oranges
- 1 cup fresh pineapple cubes
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1 tsp. maca root powder
- 1 cup Vanilla Whole Milk Kefir
- to make vegan, sub with 1 cup Vanilla Oat
- 3/4 cup more Lifeway Vanilla Whole Milk Kefir
- (or to make vegan), sub with 3/4 cup more Lifeway Vanilla Oat
- 1 tsp. matcha green tea powder
- 1/2 scoop vanilla-flavored plant-based protein powder of choice
- 1/4 cup ice
- optional garnishes: raw almond slices, pumpkin seeds, few slices of mandarin orange
- Add 2 mandarin oranges (peeled) to a blender and then add the fresh pineapple cubes, maca root powder, Vanilla Kefir and frozen mango. Blend until thick and creamy; it should be thick. Add to your favorite glass and set aside.
- Add in Next blend Vanilla Kefir (or Lifeway Vanilla oat cultured oat milk), plant-based vanilla protein powder, matcha green tea powder, and ice. Add on top of the first layer in the glass, then top with any garnishes you wish! For a pretty fall color, we used raw almond slices, pumpkin seeds, and an additional few slices of mandarin orange. Enjoy!