We’re thinking outside the box with our Protein & Probiotic Mac and Cheese, using kefir as the base to the cashew and red bell pepper sauce, and tossing gluten-free noodles with our farmer cheese. No artificial colors or flavors, our mac and cheese recipe is a clean and healthy upgrade you’re going to love.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive system.Servings: 4-6
- 1 1/2 cup Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (lightly blacken in a pan with some oil)
- 3/4 cup cashew (boil in water for 20mins)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp white miso
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 cup (stir in at the end) Farmer Cheese
- gluten-free noodles (or pasta of choice)
- garnish with chives (or chopped green onion)
- boil cashews in water for 20-30mins
- combine roasted red pepper, drained cashews, and 1 cup of kefir in a blender till smooth
- add remaining 1/2 cup of kefir, yeast, lemon juice, miso, mustard, and spices. process until smooth
- pour sauce over cooked noodles, place pot over low heat, and gently stir in 1/4-1/2 cup farmer cheese